Monday, January 26, 2009

Running with the Husband

Yesterday Joe and I headed out for a very rare run together. I was looking forward to it and dreading it at the same time. Dreading it because of Saturday's extended disco-mix run (Shawn swore it was an 8 mi loop...not!), but happy to be doing something athletic outdoors with my husband even in the 32 degree cold. Secretly I was hoping I could kick his ass on the run. He is a faster runner than me so I was hoping his sporadic training would give me an advantage, which it did for like the first 3 miles. Then we hit the hills. Mr. Fresh-as-a-Daisy then hit his stride... Sophie of course put us both to shame, literally pulling me at a good clip until we got to the part of my route where I can let her off the lead.

Joe wore the ipod shuffle. He missed the sound the ice in the lake made after Sophie chased the geese into the water (it sounded like ice in a glass or a chandelier). I missed a little friendly banter--I'm used to running AND chatting! We made it past the hills and around UofR lake once before I was toast. The last little hill off-road/track section that leads home was too much for me and I let him go on ahead. I felt like shaking my fist at him a la Snoopy after the Red Baron, "I'll get you some day!"

5 comments:

Marit C-L said...

Hooray for running with Joe! Isn't that a great feeling, running with the hubby?!? I rareley run with Nate - but when I do, it feels like a special treat! i love it! But he never talks and is very focused on just running... sounds like Joe. :) I - on the other hand - chat up a storm. You'll get him next time! Plus, you could kick his butt at 140.6 miles. ;)

tri-ing races not cases said...

This made me laugh. Bart and I rarely run together although we often run at the same time. As you know, he beats me in EVERYTHING, but I'm learning to find a few things that I'm better than him at. . . It killed him the other day when I beat him at Wii bowling. :)

Jennifer Cunnane said...

That's so great that you got out together for a run. Since my hubby's nickname is sloth I do not think he and I will be running together much - ha! I am thinking about you both lots now and keeping my fingers crossed!

Steve Stenzel said...

Dang Mr. Fresh as a Daisy...

Glad you got a run in with the hubby!!

Anonymous said...

Too funny...don't think I'll run with Jeff anytime soon. Might have something to do with the fact that his legs are about a foot longer than mine!