Friday, November 23, 2007

Trotting with Turkeys and TriGirls

This is the view of the lake at the University of Richmond before yesterday's Turkey Trot, the Richmond Roadrunner's annual 10k on Thanksgiving morning. It is a challenging run, with lots of hills and some trail cut-throughs that can turn ankles. Yet when all is said and done, you really feel like you've earned your pumpkin pie--and then some! The weather as you can see was perfect: it was cool in the morning, but warmed up to the mid 70s by midday.


The race is getting quite large--this year they capped registration at 1,000 runners which included almost a dozen TriGirls, a couple Maramarc guys, various friends, and my husband and son. Of course, there are always a few runners who show up in turkey costumes and it's always a matter of pride to be able to beat the them! I ran the almost the whole race with my son, but on the last hill he got a bad stitch. My husband ran a good race and would've finished before me, but he was kind enough to stop and run in with #1 son for the last 3/10 mile. I didn't PR, but was happy to finish just over an hour. Post race, the TriGirls gathered at my car, which has now been dubbed the TRIgirl Booze Wagon, and enjoyed post-race glogg, mimosas, and Wild Turkey.


It is such a joy to share a small part of the holiday with my fellow TriGirls. I am so blessed to have them in my life--through our shared blood, sweat, and tears they have become my sorority sisters, women who will be my friends for many years to come. The support they have given me over the past 4 years has seen me through some hard times. Thank you girls, for everything!




3 comments:

TriGirl 40 said...

What a great sounding race - and much better weather than we had last year! Hope to check out the booze wagon in the near future! Happy Thanksgiving!

Unknown said...

So sorry I couldn't be there with you - but you know I was there in spirit!

SusieQ

Diane said...

Welcome to blogland! I look forward to reading about your journey.