Thursday, June 12, 2008

Inspirational Women

This past weekend, two brave TriGirls finished the Chesapeake Bay 4.4 Mile Swim. My dear friend Heidi had finished the 4.4 mile swim a few years ago, and I remember from her experience that it was a very difficult, lonely, and potentially dangerous undertaking.

  • Deanna was one of the 9 girls that had finished IMFL just last November, and I watched her all last year work diligently on her training. She worked especially hard on her swimming, which I think she felt was her weakest discipline, and that work continued this year to great success.
  • Jonah has in my opinion always been a strong swimmer, but with two young children at home dedicating the time to this type of training is a big sacrifice. She was always there both for master's practices and TriGirl swims, plugging away in the "grind it out" lane.

I am honored to train and race with these women--who tackle such tough races with incredible grace and courage. Congratulations!

5 comments:

Mel said...

Yeah Ladies :) 4.4mile swim..crazy!!! Great job!!! You would NEVER see me signing up for that swim :)

TriGirl 40 (okay - 41) said...

Thanks so much for the sweet words! It has been great training with you and look forward to sharing many races - and post race celebrations in the future.

Now if I can survive next week's BR ride...

Jennifer Cunnane said...

These girls are amazing. How on earth do you swim that far without drowning! Hope training is going well!

Katie Weaver-Jongerius said...

Way to go girls! 4.4 would kill me I think. 3.5 is as far as I've done in open water and I might NEVER swim that far again!

Triathlonmom said...

Kate,
I've been so busy that I'm only now reading this. Thanks for the shout out! You're quite an inspiration yourself!