Sunday, August 24, 2008

A little perspective....please?

With this weekend's workout a major bust, I'm starting to panic. I keep thinking I've been stupid lazy all summer and won't be ready for Florida. Why oh why am I not doing any number of things like more weight training, track workouts, biking 5 hours every day, eating like Michael Phelps, learning how to bludgeon a shark or swim around jellyfish...the list goes on and on. Would doing any of those things make me more prone to injury or have helped prevent one? Would I have any family left to come home to? Would I have finished the MFA? At this point it's probably too late to start cramming, but will someone please remind me of all of this in time for Placid in say February or March?!

I am also starting to think that I'm going to be slow as molasses, and not make any cut offs. I'm thinking too much about the swim and how I'll need to fight for space, where I'm going to cram all that damn food I need to take on the bike (Annn, I'm seriously happy for my enhanced bosom right now--I know I can always cram some gels in there!), and how dreadfully slow that marathon will be if I can't run pain free for more than 10 miles. I know I will never be fast enough to qualify for Kona, and I'm totally ok with that. But I also don't want to be that person crossing the finish line at 17:00:08, or worse yet not anywhere near the finish line at midnight. I don't want to turn back into a pumpkin!

My husband was a dear for coming to the TriGirl IM dinner on Saturday, sitting through questions about packing stuff, nutrition, bike shorts, race gear, you name it. He was, up till yesterday, blissfully unaware of how long these saturday training sessions will be. I've tried very hard to maintain some semblance of normalcy in front of him, to pretend that Florida is not on my mind virtually every minute. I don't know how much longer I can keep up the facade that I'm plugging along merrily and juggling things just fine. If I was Bill the Cat from Bloom County, I'd be spitting up one NASTY huge hairball right now. I still might...

12 comments:

rr said...

What facade? You took a week off to recover. Your IT bands are relapsing a little. You have ten weeks and great fitness - the race last week built you even more fitness, and as soon as you get those knees right you will be right back on track. You know how to tackle the IT band. You will be fine.

No way do you have to worry about cut-offs!

I was out for 4 days last week with the darn knees hurting. And I was back at 6h today. You will be back in no time! I find that too many days of nothing make matters worse, running every other day keeps me healthiest. Hang in there and get on those funky exercises...

PS - LOVED the whale photos. Next whale watching trip should be out here!

kerrie said...

i'm with rach - you'll be fine!!! and the race is still ten weeks away!!! this is the first of your IM meltdowns where you question if you can do it and hold everything together - the next one will come just as you start your taper ;).

this is when the "one day at a day" motto comes in handy and oh yeah, breathe.

Unknown said...

Listen to your friends - you will be fine. You are just experience the normal nerves that come along with IM training.

xo
sq

Pedergraham said...

Yep, RR and Kerrie are right. Remember how Kerrie missed some training when Lucie was ill? You WILL have your fitness for Florida. There is still lots of time.

tri-ing races not cases said...

Deep breath girl. You still have lots of time left and you are doing great. This is the time to lean on your friends and family some and not try and be wonderwoman all the time. I'm pretty sure every one of us would help if asked.

Anonymous said...

These are all normal feelings as the race gets closer. As a Mother they are multiplied - guilt can do crazy things!

It's easy for me to say that it is all ok; you'll be fine; you've done enough - but to be honest I never believed anyone when they told me either. But you know what? They were right. Just take one training session at a time. Try not to think about the big picture - it screws with your head!

Take care of yourself, and the rest will take of itself.

Sometimes a really loud round of awful swear words at the top of your lungs while riding a bike can clear the head!!! Worked wonders for me when I got frustrated and fed up with the whole thing!

Annn said...

Ha ha! Glad to help!
Warm gels are the best!!!

You will do great in Florida--Your cheering squad will make sure you are not even close to any of the cutoffs.

And I'll keep a few gels in my bra in case you need them. (ssssh)

mommy to 2, feels like 4. said...

You will be fine, and you will meet the cutoffs! This is just nerves talking, don't listen to them. Take your deep breathes, follow the PT and coaches orders, and know you will be fine!!!

Jerome Harrison said...

KATE!
Seriously, plenty of time. You are doing great. You are getting the workouts DONE - and SURE you are tired, but you must give yourself some credit...you did a 1/2 IM a week ago....it doesn't matter who you are, everyone is tired the weekend after a 1/2 IM!!!! Ok, you need to call me.
Jen H.

Jennifer Cunnane said...

Whoa! You will definitely be able to keep up the schedule - and do not call it a facade. It's reality and you are going to do it! Look how well you have already managed everything else in your life? The build up to this race pales in comparison (e.g. today's worry of how will I eat enough on race day) will quickly be forgotten once the race is over. Relax, breathe - like you reminded me! - and it will work out.

Steve Stenzel said...

Don't think about the cut-offs!! That's the worst thing to do! You've got time, you'll be fine!!

Good luck!!!!

katebott said...

Kate-You will rock! I have trained alongside you on many workouts and you always look strong and kick butt! Your body has been trained and will support you. Count on your friends and family to keep your mind strong. You can do anything if your mind is strong! Just think... you are going to be an IRONMAN!