Thursday, October 30, 2008

The View from the Other Side

A year ago I came to Florida to volunteer and sherpa for my friends. It was such an amazing experience! Here it is, a year later and all of a sudden, it's my turn. All day Shawn was saying she was having a hard time grasping the thought that it's her turn, not Karen's. I am too, although sitting in registration, having the band put on my arm gave me more than a moment's panic. Am I really ready???

Shawn, Karen, Som, Steve and I were on the same flights down from Richmond. All the travel plans went well and I was able to catch a ride into Panama City with Steve and Som. I was a little bummed about not getting to hang in Pensacola with Marit, but she will be coming to PCB tomorrow and staying till Sunday. Last night I had dinner with fellow IMFL peeps Shawn and Sharon, and their sherpas extrordinaire. This morning we all met for our inaugural dip in the Gulf. It was pretty darn cold out, and my feet froze while I was putting on my wetsuit. The water, however, was much warmer! It was also calm--not much chop, no strong currents, and no big jellyfish. I'm glad that I did the whole loop, to know how far it is between bouys, and what to sight on, and where it gets deep. I was sad to get out of the water. It was far warmer in the water than out! We then headed back to Shawn and Karen's place for breakfast and quick showers before going back to hit registration. We all found where we'll be racking our bikes (I'm right behind all the pros!), and then lined up. Then after a little shopping, a little checking in with the Community Fund and Janus folks, and lunch Fred, Charlotte, Sharon, Shawn and I biked the run course. That turn around in the state park is going to seem so far away on the 2nd loop. This afternoon, while some peeps went out to drive the bike course, KateG and I hit the grocery store. I am now lounging in the condo, watching the sunset with a Corona in hand, and I'm contemplating dinner. My husband and kids come in later this evening, and I can't wait to go shell hunting with my Maddy Moo. Tomorrow we rack bikes and turn in our bags, maybe do a little swim, then rest and hydrate! I wish you all could be here with me!





16 comments:

TriGirl 40 said...

Yay - an update from PC! Look at you guys - you are fabulous and ready to go! Keep the updates coming - and can't wait to hear more!

katebott said...

Love the pics... what a girl, updating on the road!You look so happy and so ready to rock FL!!!

Jennifer Harrison said...

LOVE the pics!!!! You look ready to go! You are! :) Jen H.

margo said...

i LOVE the photo diary!!! you look so peaceful!

rr said...

Looks like so much fun! GO KATE!

tri-ing races not cases said...

Keep us posted girl. You look great! Hope things keep running smoooothly and you are going to do awesome tomorrow!!

Unknown said...

I am so excited for all of you!!
You are going to LOVE it :)
Please send my love to all my sweet peeps down in sunny Florida!

Fave said...

GOOSEBUMPIES!!!
I am there with you. you just can't seeeeee me. I'm a ghoul this halloween =)

Anonymous said...

Have an awesome day out there.

Ma Monster said...

On the computer watching for race results and any information on IM competitor #83!

Have a great day, K! We know you will do well! We'll be watching IM Live to watch you cross that finish line!

Ma Monster

kerrie said...

YAY you did it! way to tough it out!!!! i hope the hip didn't give you too much trouble!

Annn said...

Awesome baby! Simply awesome.

tri-ing races not cases said...

YAY IRONMAN KATE!

Anonymous said...

Yay Kate! Kept up with all you guys via IMFL's Track an Athlete. Awesome job, all. Can't wait to read your race report!

n/a said...

Hey there! I just stumbled upon your blog and WOW! You have a great page and I'm completely in awe of IMFL! I just finished my first tri season (sprints) and "IronMan Finisher" is on my to-do list :o) Congrats on IMFL and I look forward to your race report!
Teresa

BreeWee said...

We never had our beer together, here, CHEERS to you! I am really proud of you and so happy to have met you in REAL LIFE!

Happy recovery and hurry with that race report, I want the scoop on your first IM!!